Monday, March 24, 2008

A Greater Cloud of Witnesses


We do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. If we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. (1 Thess 4:13-18)

God appoints a time to die and He does so in His infinite care, and wisdom. There are many things that I know to be true and at the same time beg the Spirit to convince me of them in the way I trust, think, speak, and do. The Lord brought my Mom to heaven at 4:40 this afternoon. We rejoice in her heavenly experience and joy. I know this is true but still wait on the Spirit to make me to know it.

My Mom was a wonderful lady. She was the most kind and compassionate lady I knew. I remember kisses at elementary school drop-off, hot cocoa on rainy days. I remember finding her in the crowd of parents when getting a school award. I remember meeting her (tear-filled) with hugs when coming home from long trips. I remember family vacations, family bike rides, and waterskiing.... I loved my Mom so much.

More mercies of God to me:
6. 27 years with Jeanne Clutterham as mother. No one chooses their family and some are placed in the most difficult of environments. I have known a mother's love my entire life.

7. Jenna Guillory, RaeAnna Seaton, and Nate Scroggins who served us this last week (and are still serving) by turning people's desires to help into action. I am so thankful for them and those who have been cooking for us.

8. Encouraging emails, blog comments, facebook grafitti, phone calls from friends. These helped balance the sorrow with truth-telling, hope proclaiming.

9. John MacArthur's visit to our home this afternoon to encourage us and pray for my Mom and our family.

Now brothers and sisters, my Mom joins a long list of faithful saints who have gone before us, proclaiming that Jesus is trustworthy in all that He promised and that the race of faith can be run to the finish. Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us (Heb 12:1).

A memorial service for my Mom is being arranged for this Saturday at Grace Community Church. I will give more details as they become available. I would like to extend an invitation to all who knew my Mom or have a connection to someone who knew my Mom or our family.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh, thanks for these posts. Thank you for being an unwitting encouragement to me - that you have been dealing with your mom's illness for many months, yet being so able to find God's joy and mercies.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,
You, and your family, are in my prayers. Your mom was such a blessing...
~Veronica

1:58 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Josh,
I am praying for you and your family.

Erica Oliver

9:52 AM  
Blogger wagamama said...

Josh,
All I can say is, we serve such a good God and savior. With tears in my eyes and with gratitude, I pray that if (or when) God puts my family in the same circumstances, I will handle it with as much grace, and faith, and courage as you and Rebekah and the rest of your family. Your mom's testimony and in turn your testiomony speaks louder than you will ever know. Thank you for your faith, Josh. I praise God for it.
-Janea

5:06 PM  
Blogger azuremle said...

Josh,
I weep with you while reading your posts. They are timely. Anna has a tummy bug and your love for your mom inspires me to pour out tenderness & affection on my poor wee girl. Thank you for your honesty. I am praying diligently that you will indeed KNOW what you believe in these days.
Emily

12:46 AM  
Blogger Blissfully Yours said...

Josh,
Thank you so much for allowing us in to what God is and has been doing in your heart and with your family. I am brought to tears as I read you posts. It is with great joy that I praise God for the amazing testimony lived out through your mom. We miss her so much and have been praying for her and you and your family for a long time now. I must share with you that your mom has impacted me personally where I find myself thinking about her while I work because of her tremendous work ethics and great love for the body and our Lord. I am thankful to see your testimony aswell. I am praying for you all. Please let us know how we too can serve you and your family in the months to come.

Lola

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home