Sunday, March 11, 2007

Trip to Southern Israel


I was talking with a friend about our blogs and realized that I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up with it...but it's important to me to share what is going on in my life with those who care...so please expect regular posts from now on. I'm thinking that at least once a week. Last week I went with IBEX to Southern Israel (known in modern vernacular as the Negev although communicating a broader region than the biblical term Negev suggests). It was a great trip and Todd Bolen did an excellent job of leading us around and teaching. I went places that I have never been in Israel and saw some amazing sights. Here are some picutres from the trip.

We hiked through Nahal Zin, from which the wilderness of Zin gets its name (Num 13:21; 20:1; 27:14; 33:36; 34:3; Deut 32:51; Josh 15:1-3). It served as the Southern border of the land promised to Abraham and his descendants through Isaac and Jacob.


We stopped the bus along the road in the regions of the Wilderness of Zin and Paran to meditate upon God's purposes for leading the people of Israel without a physical destination but with a spiritual destination according to His will. Being here again after my thesis work was meaningful since God says that He lead the people in the wilderness so as to discipline them (Deut 8:4-5).


We stopped at an overview point in which four countries are visible: Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. This is a picture of me and my friend Austin scoping out Egypt.


In the Timna Valley, near Eilat, there are remnants of copper mines and impressive geological formations. This is a picutre of a rock formation known as Solomon's pillars (not having a connection with Solomon but once believed to be the area of his mining operations).


I took a series of time metered shots of the sunrise on top of Masada. We left the hostel at 5:00 am to get up the mountain in time to see it. Here is one picture from the series of shots.


On another note, things are really busy here with projects and studying but I am thurally enjoying it. Back at home, my grandpa appears to be approaching his last days before going to be with the Lord. I am inspired by his life and faith in Jesus. It is a difficult time because he means so much to our family. Also, my mom is scheduled for today to have a surgery today to kill cancer cells in her liver.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying for you :)

The Kushner's

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home