Monday, March 24, 2008

The Home Stretch


Friends, It appears that my Mom is heading down the home stretch of her life and battle with cancer. When hearing the news from Dr. Hugh last Tuesday, I considered that God was bringing my Mom's condition to a point of decision, rejoicing that either way would result in divine healing (whether through the restoration of her tumor-damaged organs or through leaving that earthly tent behind, 2 Cor 5:1-8; Ps 103:3). Her hospice nurse was here this morning. After taking her blood pressure, it seemed likely to her that she would go today.

I have seen that it takes great courage to die of cancer...and my Mom has been heroic. Thursday night (last week) with a full room of visitors, she gave testimony of the joy of walking with God. She told us of how she knew that God was walking with her each step of the way and then led us in singing a hymn: Blessed assurance.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
angels descending bring from above
echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with his goodness, lost in his love.

This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.

More mercies of God to me:
4. Mike and Christina Roe who twice made and brought homemade ice cream to my Mom in the last week. In the midst of her suffering, it brought us joy to hear her say, "That's good."

5. A father who kept his vow to the end: "To have and to hold...in sickness and in health."

Please pray for my Mom, that this will be a sprint of faith to Jesus--and for my Dad that he will hold onto the promise ("neither death...will separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord," Rom 8:38-39).

3 Comments:

Blogger Todd Bolen said...

Josh - we are praying for you and your family. Your faith is an encouragement to me and to many others. Thanks for taking the time and energy to write these out.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Summer Martin said...

Josh, thanks for the updates. I will be praying alongside you and your family!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,
It was such a wonderful time to be there to sing Blessed Assurance. Your mom's request to sing this hymn was such a testimony and reminder of the character I saw in her everytime I was around her. Never did she doubt her Savior or His love for her for a second. Never did she waiver from faithful devotion to Him. I am praying for you. Matt and I love you! ~Ashley

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home