Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Tribute to My Grandpa



I returned home to California last Tuesday. Before leaving for Israel in January, I visited with my grandpa who had been in bed the previous few days, not feeling well. His cancer had progressed to bone cancer and we expected he would soon go to be with Jesus. He had talked about it for so long. I remember him telling my family about his soon departure when I was still in high school. In February, I learned in Israel that his conditioned had seriously worsened and his dying was imminent. On Saturday afternoon (4/7/2007), Bill Clutterham, my grandpa, began to live in the presence of Jesus.

In this life, he was a hero...not just to me but to this country (as a pilot of a B-17 flying fortress in the Pacific campaign of WWII and as captain and chaplain of the Los Angeles County Fire Department for over 30 years) and to all who knew him. He is a hero to me mostly because of his example of living by faith and proclamation of the gospel to everyone he knew. He wasn't privileged to become a Christian as young person but when he did, he followed Jesus closely to the end.

I will keep this brief because I am returning to Israel later tonight and there is much to do. In recent weeks, the Antelope Valley Press has published articles on my grandpa which can be found with the following links: 1, 2.

Here are a few pictures of my grandpa:














5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How great is it to be able to say, at the end of his life, that he ran the good race and fought the good fight. :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

nice profile pic :)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hi Josh! It was so fun to read your blog! Do you remember me?

10:34 AM  
Blogger JanVan said...

I wanted to let you know that I had been preparing a speech about your grandfather for a college class of mine. Six years ago he came to my high school history class and gave a talk. I came early just to meet and talk with him. In those few short hours he made an impact on my life. He gave me his book "God" moment by moment which I still have to this day. Im sorry to hear such a great man has passed. my daughter was born 4/5/07 and came home on the day of your grandfathers passing. I wanted to send my late regards to you and your family. Bill was a great guy and taught a lot of people his wisdom and shared his faith in Christ with many.
God Bless
-Janae

6:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Mac said...

Hi Josh, My husband and I befriended your grandpa and grandma a few years ago at a hobby shop in Quartz Hill. He and my hubby hit it off and next we knew he and Millie were over several times for dinner. I have posted a short piece on my blog about said meeting and subsequent trip to the National WWII Memorial. You are blessed to have such a fine man as your grandpa.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home