Sunday, March 23, 2008

Days or Weeks


We sat in the noisy hospital room waiting for news. The procedure the previous day had failed to remove the waste fluids that were accumulating in my Mom's legs and abdomen. Dr. Hugh was sent to level with us. He, in the most gracious but straightforward way available, presented my parents with the option: days or weeks. Her tumor on her liver (despite the surgery) had grown steadily to the point of making it inoperable. This then contributed to the breaking down of the function of her kidneys (which work to remove waste from the body). In Dr. Hugh's estimation this signaled the beginning of the breakdown of her body's essential organic system. Poking and prodding, taking blood and giving pills would mean a painful extension of life for a few weeks. Days are shorter than weeks but presented the alternative of being more comfortable, in the place where she has called home for almost 35 years, surrounded by an unbroken chain of family and friends to tell her that they love her. Believing that there is a life to begin in the presence of Jesus on the other side of death, my parents decided days at home would be more precious than weeks in the hospital.

My Mom (Jeanne) is resting now. With great courage, she made it through the night. She asked my aunt Karen this morning (who has worked as a nurse for many years), "Karen, is this what happens?" It breaks the heart of a son. The days have been exhausting. Physical energy can be spent as much in tears as in laying bricks. But our faith and hope are in Jesus who promised us, "he who believes in Me will live even if he dies."

I will share more in the coming days as I give updates. But, with the example of Paul (Phil 2:27) and a dear friend (here) who acknowledged the mercies of God in the midst of trial, I would like to start a list of of noticed mercies of God to me and my family.

1. God's provision of a caring, believing doctor for the five years of my Mom's battle with cancer. I bless Dr. Lee for her personal care of my Mom for all these years. It was a precious sight for me to be there when she came to visit last Tuesday. Being so exposed to death, she was overwhelmed with sorrow to acknowledge that death was near.

2. God's gift of salvation to my Mom as a young 5th grader. He saved her and worked to sanctify her for so many years (about 44 years). The difference between my Mom and the other patients in that room was so evident. God has caused her to become like His Son with a gracious and kind Spirit.

3. God's provision of many friends who love my Mom. Their visits in these last days have been so precious as she is reminded of how she has blessed so many. Their expressions of love have been an unending song, the same melody of love with new verses of blessing and faithfulness, these last few days.

I will stop there for now. There are many more which are evident for me but I want to keep the coming posts manageable.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPO'7 is praying for you and your fam Josh! Praise the Lord that death has lost its sting.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Tommy & Yetta Garwood said...

Tom and I prayed for your family together after we read this blog and wept tears of joy and sorrow for you all. You are in our hearts and we are praying for you daily.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Josh, I just heard the news about your mom. I will be praying for you and your family...that you will have the faith to believe that Christ is good and glorified in this.
Cindi Gundersen

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,
In the upcoming weeks, may our Abba continue to overwhelm you with his hesed and show you new mercies. My prayers are with you and your family during your loss.

~Jenae Kennington (Jeff's lil sis)

12:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Costine said...

hey Josh, Tim Costine here. Just heard the news. You and your family are in my prayers and my heart breaks for your loss. Praise God that your mother is now with her Savior, now pray God that he gives you and yours the strength to abide in His plan.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home