Monday, July 17, 2006

Am I Safe?


I think the question is always relative when you are living here. There is great potential for harm...but that could be said in parts of Los Angeles in which many of you who are reading are within the proximity of a half hours drive. I can say that as far as my surroundings, nothing has changed over the last couple weeks. I am living on a moshav (community) about 10 miles west of Jerusalem which is just far enough to seem like the most peaceful place on earth with the sun setting slowly over the Judean hill country and shephelah with no sounds of bombs exploding or anything like this.



However, the news of the North does provide much tension in the minds of people in Jerusalem (where I am attending class). On Sunday, we had a special briefing to speak to the issue of how the conflict in the North relates to the operation of the school and if we need to start thinking about alternate plans. A journalist, and former Israeli general, came to give some internal perspective on the operation. In his mind, Jerusalem is one of the safest places on earth right now--We laughed at this outrageous statement--he asserted that he believed Hezbollah would never dream to target Jerusalem. So this is kind of a mixed answer to the question at the heading.

Right now the region of Israel affected by the conflict is still about 3 hours North of where I am. Here is a picture to get a better idea of what this looks like. Where I am is marked by the green dot. The red dots mark those areas that have seen damage from Ketyushah rockets.



Psalm 122:6-8 may have special application at this time: "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: 'May they prosper who love you. May peace be within your walls, And prosperity within your palaces.' For the sake of my brothers and my friends, I will now say, 'May peace be within you.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home