Sunday, February 26, 2006

We boast in our tribulations


I was thinking upon this declaration from Romans 5:3 as I just had the opportunity to give Dr. Bob Smith, who told me that he is speaking about heaven on Wednesdays at his church in Lafayette, a ride from the airport. I asked him if he had seen the quote from a letter sent from a dear saint to Charles Fuller, upon hearing that he will be speaking about heaven. I will quote it hear because it always serves to give a blessing.
"Charles E. Fuller, a well-known radio evangelist of the mid-twentieth centruy, announced one day that his sermon the following Sunday would be on "Heaven." As he prepared his radio message that week, Fuller recieved a letter from an elderly man who knew that he was soon to die. Here is part of that letter:

Next Sunday you are to talk about "Heaven." I am interested in that land because I have held a clear title to a bit of property there for over 55 years. I did not buy it. It was given to me without money and without price. But the donor purchased it for me at a tremendous sacrifice. I am not holding it for speculation, since the title is not transferable. It is not a vacant lot....Termites can never undermine its foundations for they rest upon the Rock of Ages. Fire cannot destroy it. Floods cannot wash it awy. No locks or bolts will ever be placed upon its doors, for no vicious person can ever enter that land where my dwelling stands, now almost completed and ready for me to enter and abide in peace eternally without fear of being ejected. There is a valley of deep shadow between the place where I live in California and that to which I sahll journey in a very short time. I cannot reach my home in the City of God without passing through the dark valley of shadows. But I am not afraid, because the best friend that I ever had went through the same valley alone long, long ago and drove away all the gloom. He has stuck by me through thick and thin since we first became acquainted 55 years ago, and I hold His promise in printed form, never to forsake, nor to leave me alone. He will be with me as I walk through the valley of the shadows, and I shall not lose my way when He is with me. I hope to hear your sermon on Heaven next Sunday from my home but I have no assurance that I shall be able to do so. My ticket to heaven has no date marked for the journey--no return coupon--and no permit for baggage. Yes, I am ready to go and may not be here while you are talking next Sunday, but I shall meet you there someday."

The believer has this hope; at the end, He will be with Christ, reflecting the glory of Christ. This is what makes heaven to be heaven for the believer. It is Paul's striking words that among the things that give the believer a reason to boast in his troubles is this hope: "we boast in our troubles." He continues that the believer does this for 3 reasons. First, he boasts because troubles bring about perseverance in the life of the believer. This is an endurance to continue living by faith. Next, he boasts because troubles give opportunity for a proven character to be evident. This is the continual application of a persevering faith. Finally, the believer boasts because troubles produce a hope in the place and condition when there will be no more troubles, no sorrows, no death: heaven.
I am reminded of these things as I was hit hard by illness this weekend; being reminded that this body I live in is so fraile and capable of failing at any moment should the Lord choose not to sustain it. Yet, in these times of weakness, there is blessing. Time to be caused to rest, to think about God's purposes, to consider sin to be repented of, to desire God's strength, to see lack of faith, to be tested on how to exercise faith.

Quote taken from Living a Life of Hope by Nathan Busenitz, pp. 14-15.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home