Monday, February 06, 2006

Chemotherapy and waves of mercy


My mom first learned of her colon cancer in the Spring of 2003 (probably the hardest year of my life). The doctor's gave a prognosis that the development of the cancer was in the late third stage (out of four). She first had a surgery to remove a large portion of her colon; then chemotherapy began. In all, she endured 8 months of very painful weekly treatments. My family supported and served her, encouraged her to hope in the Lord's strength. We grieved and trusted the Lord for His best. That Christmas was special because we did not know what the next year would bring.

Early in January, my mom had a cat scan which would tell us if any progress had been made. By God's mercy, no trace of cancer could be seen in her body. We rejoiced in the Lord for His goodness. I found that, in this time, I learned what it means for God to be sovereign. I believe that I knew He was sovereign but at the same time, I had to learn it. I also looked back and wish I had trusted Him more. There were many times that year that I was tempted to doubt God's goodness and care. At times, I gave in and became bitter...but God did not leave me to this but always brought me back to acknoweldge His goodness in my life, that He would save a sinner and communicate in His word that He acts with infinite knowledge in accordance with what is best, being able also to accomplish it...so that I know without any doubt that my God is all-good, all-knowing, and all-sovereign, at the same time, all of the time.

We experienced the absence of cancer from our family for a little over a year until God in His good purpose chose to bring it back in my mom's body. It is now February and she has been enduring chemotherapy since last June. I see daily what it looks like for the joy of the Lord to be someone's strength (Neh. 8:10). She continues to amaze me with her bravery and softness to the Lord's choice in her life. My dad as well continues to serve and love her. By God's grace we have seen His working in reducing the size of the remaining tumor (now 4cm). Please continue to pray for her endurance in trusting the Lord.



i took this picture this morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

Hey man! Glad to see you're on blogger! Welcome, if I can help you please lemme know. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know how to do most of the basic stuff. Anyway, I already linked to your blog on mine, so hopefully you'll get some hits by all the 2 people or so that read mine, haha. See ya Thursday Buddy!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home